I have so many things that I would like to write about that I don't know where to begin!
Since I have been neglecting my blog, I will combine a recipe with a thrift tip!
Make your own Flour Tortillas!!
(I got this recipe from http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/flourtortillas.htm)
- 4 cups white or whole wheat flour or half each
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (optional)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups water
1. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
2. Next cut in the shortening with a fork.
3. When the flour is crumbly, add the water. Stir the dough with your fork until it makes a cohesive ball of dough. You may need to add an extra small spoonful of water if the dough is too dry. Be careful not to add too much though.
4. When the dough forms a ball, knead it about 20 times. Then let it rest in the bowl for about 10 minutes. After it has rested, form it into 10 or 12 equal balls.
5. Roll each ball in a little flour, to coat the outside of it evenly.
6. Place a ball of dough on a clean, well floured surface. Roll the dough out into a a 6 or 7-inch circle. Try to get it as thin as you can. Loosen the tortilla from the rolling surface.
7. Flop it onto a lightly oiled, hot skillet. Cook about 30 seconds, until the under side is dry, with a few brown spots. Flip it and cook the other side the same way. Transfer the cooked tortilla to a plate, and cook the next one.
This recipe makes about a dozen tortillas.
You will likely need half an hour or more to complete this recipe as the rolling takes some practice! However, the savings are worth it. I haven't worked out the cost of home-made tortillas, however just the fact that you don't need to spend an extra 3-4 dollars every time you want tortillas seems to make it appealing!
The taste is better, but the texture isn't exactly like store bought, but I still think they are pretty good. :-)
Let me know what Food things you make to save money!
If you have written about it on your own blog,
feel free to share the link to your post in the comment box!