They are undergoing a referendum this week to determine whether the South of Sudan will become an independent nation from the North. (Official results will not be known until Mid-February.)
Of course there are a lot of things that make this difficult:
- The North is mostly Muslim and the South is a mix of Christian and Animism. Religious tensions galore.
- There is oil in the South, but the North owns the pipelines. Money tensions galore.
- If the two areas separate, borders will have to be decided. Possibility of Guerrilla warfare.
- The North doesn't really think that the South will be able to operate without them. This leaves the threat of more war in this country. Something it doesn't need.
(Note: These prayer requests have been copied from http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-persecutedchurch.html):
- For their physical protection and deliverance
- That God would give them the right words and that they would fearlessly make Christ known
- That they will see God's grace as sufficient and God's power perfected in their weakness
- That they would love Christ's appearing all the more
- That they will rejoice in sharing the sufferings of Jesus so that they will rejoice even more when Christ is revealed
- That they will endure
- That they will choose ill-treatment and the reproach of Christ, not pleasures of sin
- That they will love Christ far more than life itself
- That they will live the joy of the Lord before their persecutors
- That they will love their enemies